Thursday, February 5, 2009

First Morning in Tokyo

We had the greatest flight on Singapore air, the food was fabulous. I had a variety of vegetarian meals (we were on there for about 11 hours) and Marty said his filet mignon rivaled what he orders at Shugrue's in Sedona. I didn't even feel like I was on a plane, and didn't really want to get off and leave the service.


We got to Tokyo last night, making yesterday seem like the longest day of the year, that's because it was two days - February 4th melded into February 5th. We are staying at the Prince Park Tower in a park looking at a remake of the Eiffel tower. We woke up this morning, the 6th, at 2 am, 3 am, then 4 am. Then read everything we could get our hands on until we ventured out to see the city at 6 am. We went through through a park past the Zojoji Temple and gardens on our way to Starbucks. Not very adventurous I know. We'll get a little wilder later today.


Good thing I packed black, because that is the color of the city. Everyone wears it. And the black is contrasted by the white face masks everyone wears. Although the school kids wear them in a variety of colors. Marty was playing with the kids in the str4eet as they went to school. The kids were laughing with Marty. He was the only one making any noise in the hoards of people. Everyone was SILENT. No conversations, no cell phones, just a determined orderly silent walking to their destination. Perhaps that is how the Zen walking meditation - Kinhin got started.


As soon as I get the right cable to upload my photos, I will. In the meantime, here is a photo from the web:


It seems like about 1/4 of the people I have seen wear face masks outside, and I've heard it isn't because they don't want to breath in pollution (though that may be part of it), but because they're sick and don't want to spread their germs. Very conscientious I guess. That is what marks this city so far, orderly, conscientious, and lots of bowing. I like it so far....

No comments:

Post a Comment