Saturday, February 14, 2009

Lobby of the Hyatt in Kathmandu

I know, I know, going to Kathmandu and staying at the Hyatt? Yes, we did it. And I am glad we did. We were greeted in the hotel lobby filled with stupas and temples modeled after the historic buildings in Durbar square by a man serving us delicious rose infused tea. It was hauntingly beautiful at night, the sound of the fountain, Tibetan chants and the smell of incense filled the hotel lobby. The hotel is an oasis from the noise and pollution of Kathmandu, surrounded by 15 acres of gardens and parks.

This experience is so vastly different those I've taken as a backpacker and bicyclist in the Middle East and Asia. I have been able to maintain a sense of calm throughout the entire travel experience. In the past, I wouldn't be sure if the food or drink I had opted for was going to make me sick, and I'd have to erect my tent in the middle of a hotel room to sleep without bed bugs, or dress like a man to be allowed to eat in a restaurant (yes, I'd eventually get thrown out of some when they found out I was a FEMALE!). Off the beaten path has its reward for sure however, this trip has been an opportunity to witness the very best a culture can offer. And I eat and sleep peacefully. I wish that for every being in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment